Friday, August 8, 2014

Beautiful Things

So, I was at Kohl's today getting a cushion for the rocking chair in Ziggy's room and this guy was looking at pillows.  I would say he was a surfer-type if there were anywhere to surf around here, but since there is not I guess he was just sort of a hippy...long hair, flip-flops, exuding a very mellow vibe. 

I knew what I was going for and exactly where to find it, so I was on a mission.  I didn't really want to get distracted and shop for anything else.  My tunnel vision was zeroed in on the quickest route to the seat cushions.  As I passed this guy, he looked up and said "beautiful" with a kind smile and a nod toward my belly.  It caught me a little off-guard...but I managed to smile quickly and say "thank you."


As I walked on to my destination I got to thinking how "un-beautiful" I was feeling...my hair was up in a messy ponytail thanks to my water-exercise class and sweaty nap.  My make-up was a bit smudged and my clothes were ones I had worn the day before and just threw on again since I was going out in public.  I knew I'd be out working in the yard later and so I was waiting to shower until after that.  I think I am starting to waddle a bit and my skin is getting weird little spots of funny pigmentation.  My legs (and other parts) swell as the day progresses.  Basically, I felt dirty and sweaty and large and quite the opposite of beautiful.
But he said "beautiful."  And you know what folks?  He was right.  What is happening inside of me is undeniably beautiful even if the outside doesn't always feel like it matches...and I reckon that is what he saw.  It wasn't that I looked beautiful, but that I was beautiful.

It's funny how this complete stranger made my day with one word.  And it's not like it's a word I've never heard before.  My husband tells me all the time how beautiful I am, but of course he thinks so!  I mean, we love each other like crazy!  There was just something different about hearing it from a stranger at such an unexpected moment. 

This guy struck me as the type of person who might find beauty in a lot of places that go unnoticed by others as we set our sights on our missions for the day or week or months ahead of us.  How much beauty are we missing out on when we have our blinders on???

So, in an attempt to honor the beauty in the simple things around us, allow me to share a list of some of my favorite things.  

Favorite Smells:
*Dry, dead pine needles and dirt on a hot day
*My husband's t-shirts
*Bakeries
*Hometown air after being away for awhile

Favorite Sounds:
*Heavy rain on a metal roof
*Wind chimes at the lake
*My husband singing country songs when he thinks no one is listening

Favorite Sights:
*The vibrant greens set against the purply-grey dustiness of an oncoming storm
*Orchids
*Fall leaves before they fall
*Fresh snow, especially when it hangs on to branches

Favorite Tastes: (this one is tough because I LOVE to eat and my favorite things to eat change throughout the year)
*cold water when you are really, really thirsty
*Almost any food I eat while on a date with JT
*Sour gummy worms

Favorite "Feels"?:
*Ziggy moving inside when JT has his hand or cheek against my belly
*A warm bath or shower after a long day...especially if it was a day of traveling
*Clean feet
*Getting in a freshly made bed with clean sheets
*The very beginning of a run on a mild day and the end (when you get to stop) of every run 

If I sat and thought longer about each category, I know my lists would grow.  But these are the things that come immediately to mind. This has been kind of a sappy post...but there really is a lot of wonderful in the world and I suppose this blog was due for a touch of it. 

Where do you find beauty?  What are some of your favorite things?
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! Amazing how one word can trigger so much. I totally get that at this point things don't feel beautiful, and I could count on fingers and toes how many times I've told largely pregnant friends and coworkers that they looked beautiful and they always respond with a litany of all the reasons why they're not. But how wonderful to stop and think about how you are, despite the messy ponytail, the swollen everything, the yesterday's clothes and wait-until-after-gardening pre-shower funk. (I totally do that too--why shower before working in your classroom where it's going to be sweaty and gross? Do it after!) And I love your beautiful favorites!
    A few of mine: the smell of hyacinths and lilacs in the spring; the sound of my husband talking to himself while reading engineering texts when he thinks I'm not near, fresh clean sheets for sure, a massage that really gets into my migraine points in my neck and leaves me feeling like jelly after, that feeling you get when a book is over and you are crying not necessarily because it was sad but because you're sad it's over and you're no longer in the lives of those wonderful characters, the sound of the crickets at night, any really gorgeous night where it's not super hot and there's a cool breeze and it's perfect for walking.

    There. What a lovely challenge, to share lots of beauty! And I agree with surfer dude, you are BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo...you've got some good ones! I totally agree with crickets and perfect-for-walking evenings:)

      Delete