Hallelujah and Holy Cow you guys!!! Guess what?!?! The ultrasound tech said I ovulated this month!?!?
A couple other, more profane, "holy ___" phrases came to mind after my date with the wand today...but I figured no one would want to see the accompanying images.
I had a follow-up ultrasound today to check on the status of my cyst before moving forward with any Clomid cycles. Last time the tech hardly said a word, but this time I was with a gal who was a little more talkative. Our conversation went something like this:
U/S Tech: Hi, how are you today?
Me: Fine thanks, how are you?
Tech: Good thanks. So what's going on today, are we just checking up on that cyst?
Me: I think so...blah blah blah.
Tech: Have you been having any pain?
Me: No, not since that last episode...I've had one period since the last appointment and am on Cycle Day 35 of this cycle.
Blah, blah, blah...empty bladder...blah, blah...
Tech: Okay, well, undress from the waist down...blah, blah, blah.
Tech: I'm going to...blah, blah, blah...warm lube...blah, blah, blah...shouldn't hurt, let me know if it does...blah, blah, blah...scoot your butt down to the end of the table (maybe she left out the word butt...toosh maybe??)..Do you have plans for the weekend?
Me: Superbowl...blah, blah...husband has been sick...blah, blah...might just be us...blah, blah...how about you?
Tech: Don't really care...blah, blah...but husband invited like 8 guys...blah, blah...I'll invite a few of the spouses...blah, blah...there'll be 14 kids between three of us, so it'll be pretty busy!
Me: <Damn, that's a lot of kids.>
Tech: Looks good...let me move this...blah, blah...sorry, your left ovary is way over here...looks good though...cyst is gone...blah, blah...
Me: (attempting to keep the conversation going and avoid awkward silence) I never know how you all tell what you're looking at...
Tech: Ha ha ha...lots of practice...blah, blah, blah...greyscale...blah, blah...here's your right ovary...looks like you ovulated from the right this month...
<SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!> Woah...really?! That doesn't normally happen...you can tell?
Tech: Yeah, if you've ovulated in the last week or two we can see the little sack that released the egg.
I don't remember the rest because
Ever since I have been off of BC, there has been no sign that I've been ovulating with/without Clomid. Granted, the first 6 or 7 months I didn't know the signs of ovulation or do anything to check...but once I started charting and getting blood work done it was always the same: no egg. Looking back at those first 6 or 7 months, knowing what I know now, I can guess with pretty good certainty that I didn't ovulate during them either.
So...holy cow you guys! This feels BIG!! Egg-specially because this was an organic egg (unless you count Metformin and Nyquil)!! Unfortunately, between my husband and I being sick since Christmas and feeling like this was "a break", I'm sure we missed this egg. I have an appointment with my doctor Tuesday to discuss the ultrasound (he was booked today) and will be going in with notes and will be ready to make a plan for what we're doing next. My hope tank just got filled to the brim!
And now, a couple random questions for people (all too) familiar with the wand:
1. Are the lights always dimmed when you have an ultrasound? Last time I went in and the lights were dimmed and at first I was a little creeped out, but then appreciated it because it felt a little more private. Today, I went in and the awful fluorescent lights were on and I felt immediately more embarrassed to be naked from the waist down. Luckily, when the tech returned, she dimmed the lights.
2. Is privacy a funny thing to even think about when you've got your legs in stirrups and you lady bits out?
3. They ask you to empty your bladder...can they tell...if...ummm...how do I say this without being gross? Can they tell if the other department has been emptied too? I'm not saying anything. I'm just asking.
4. How much...ummm...grooming should be done before an appointment where you'll have things "out"? I go crazy brushing and flossing my teeth before a dental appointment...but I don't even shower or style my hair before an appointment at the salon. So what's the right amount of prep work here? You don't want it to look like you're trying too hard...like you got all vagazzled just for a rendezvous with medical equipment. I get things spruced up, but not like one might for a hot date.
5. Both times I've been in the garbage can is full...like needs to be emptied full...like when you throw away your tissues you worry they might topple onto the floor but you don't really want to press them down because you don't want to rub up against someone else's tissues, so you end up doing this dainty little pinch & push thing with your pinky in the air to make sure the tissue is securely in the trash while still avoiding contact with anything else that may be lurking in that receptacle. (Whew, outta breath?) And you know that the a bunch of it will all come spilling out anyway when some poor soul does come to empty it because it has one of those lids with the hole in it that sticks up a good 5 inches from the top of the actual can. Has anyone else noted this? Is this common in ultrasound rooms?
6. What do you do with the little cover sheet and butt pad they have you sit on after your appointment? Do you just leave it there --- a crumpled mess? Do you throw them away in that trash can that is full to the brim? I folded them up and left them on the table...obviously not like new, but so nobody has to touch the lube that leaked out. Yeah, I just said that.
7. I'll end on a more sentimental note...anyone else spend a good portion of the appointment imagining what it will be like to be in that room, with your husband in that chair beside you--holding your hand and looking at your baby?
Holy cow! Won't that be something?