Friday, February 21, 2014

From the Mouths...

*Sometime Tuesday Morning*

Me: I won't be here this afternoon, but Mrs. ____ will be here and I expect you to be safe, and respectful, and responsible while she is here.

Students: Why? Where are you going?

Me: I have an appointment.

Students: Again!?!

(Tuesday was the third afternoon appointment in the last 4 weeks...and I almost always tell my kids where I'll be if I have the opportunity.  I keep it general: a meeting, a training, an appointment, I don't feel well, visiting a friend, what-have-you).

Me: Yes, I know.  Sorry guys!

Student (let's call her "K") with a quizzical look on her face:  Do you have any kids?

Me:  No, no kids. 

K: You should get some.

Me: I should get some?  Where could I get some (loaded question)?

K:  Ummm, I don't know.

Me: Can I take you home?

K: (Giggle) No!

about 5 minutes pass...

K: You can ask my mom if you could take me home...

Me: Hmmm...maybe I will, but I don't think your mom would give you up.  What do you think?

K: No...she wouldn't.


It's strange...this conversation a month ago would have hurt, but now it gets me dreaming!


1 comment:

  1. Ha! Too funny. Firsts are so cute! I don't think my 8th graders would offer to be my kids... :) I'm glad it didn't hurt. I find it depends on the day, on the cycle, on where I am in things -- some comments that could make me teary actually make me feel warm and fuzzy at a different point in a cycle. I'm glad you're in a place of hope!

    ReplyDelete