Thursday, June 12, 2014

Random Thoughts

So, I'm not sure what any of this is worth or whether or not any of it could constitute its own post, but I have some random pregnancy-related thoughts.  And frankly I am too tired to organize them into anything more clever than what they are...so here you go...
  • I miss belt loops.  And belts for that matter.  You would think with an ever-expanding belly and an elastic waistband that grazes your rib cage, keeping pants up wouldn't be a problem.  Well, wrong.  I am constantly pulling my pants up, but don't know what to grab...I usually have to put my index finger in the front pocket and my thumb in the back and do this "pinch and pull" maneuver if I care to avoid the saggy-butt look.
  • I hope that doesn't sound like me complaining.  Every minor inconvenience of pregnancy is soooo worth it...and is exactly what I wanted.  The good. The bad. The ugly.  The experience. (Keep that in mind as you continue through my random thoughts).
  • The worst part about the saggy pants thing is when they take your underwear with them.  There is no inconspicuous way to fix that problem.  Good thing I go to the bathroom every half hour so I can adjust my droopy drawers.
  • That sounds gross.
  • But I'm not sorry.
  • I refer to myself as "we" a lot now.  Like, when I talk to my husband on the phone and he asks how I'm doing I say, "We are fine."  Or I'll announce to the pets that "We are home."  We also get tired.  We get hungry.  We go to work and the mailbox and Target.  We even play tag...or at least we try.  It's kind of fun to never be alone.   
  • It's a little stupid how upset I am about having to take out my belly button piercing.  Okay, it's a lot stupid.  I guess there are bars you can buy that expand with your tummy and I was going to do that, but the jewelry just looks dumb under bump-hugging clothing.  And it was starting to get uncomfortable.  I think I took it out around 17 weeks??  But then for a few weeks after that I would put it back in on the weekends so the hole didn't grow closed.  That was fine for a week or two.  But after that it got pretty tricky trying to get it in and my belly button got sore and red.  One day I caught it on something, it pulled and the hole started bleeding.  So I decided to give up since I was being ridiculous.  And vain.  It's been a few weeks since that happened and sometimes I inspect the little hole...I can't tell if it is stretched so tight that it appears like it is closing or if it is, in fact, actually closing.  I've had it pierced for almost 11 years, so I'm hoping it is permanent and will go back to normal-ish after Ziggy arrives. 
  • I got my belly-button pierced the same day I met my husband for the first time.  It was July and I had just turned 18.  I was showing my best friend how brave and rebellious I felt and this guy she worked with was refilling the salsa bar at Senor Froggies.  It wasn't exactly love at first sight...but I think the two of us saying "hello" gave her the idea to play match-maker.  JT was still a little heart-broken from a relationship that ended right before prom and I was seriously interested in finding a boyfriend since I never really had any in high school.  I was hoping college would present more options/opportunities for dating.  JT and I were headed to the same college in the fall.  She saw the potential and very methodically facilitated the beginning stages of our relationship.  And the rest, as they say, is history.  Maybe that's why I'm so attached to the silly thing.  It marked the beginning of my young adulthood, my years of college, and the beginning of dating my husband.    It is kind of a symbol of that chapter in my life.  It was the beginning of me really turning into me...away from my family and out on my own.  And though I am thrilled to be starting a new chapter, removing the belly-button ring is like that "me" chapter coming to a close.  The "we" chapter begins... 
  • That sounds sappy and ridiculous.
  • For that, I AM sorry.
  • Yesterday was field day.  It kicked my pregnant butt.  I think I am in pretty decent shape and that this pregnancy is progressing rather smoothly.  I haven't really noticed too many limitations physically yet.  But being outside, on my feet, in the sun with a bunch of hyper firsties all afternoon drained me like you wouldn't believe.  Every time I sat down yesterday evening I feared I wouldn't get up. 
  • It is a small miracle I got out of bed this morning.
  • Monday night I stayed up waaaaaay too late.  Or was it Tuesday?  Or was it both?  Anyhow: I stayed up late one night and Ziggy got REALLY active.  I am not sure if he is normally awake then and I just sleep through it or if it is a new thing or a one time thing.  But he was moving around like crazy and I could SEE him and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  I even laughed out loud and asked him what he was doing.  I've seen a few of his movements before, but hardly ever do I get to see a whole series of movements.  And all I wanted was for his dad to be there to see it, but he was out of town.
  • And now I think I'm about to have my second exhausted-end-of-the-year-pregnancy-hormone-inhanced-husband's-out-of-town meltdown of the day.
So...we'll be signing off and heading toward bed.  In the morning we will go to our last day of school this year!!  Can we get an "amen"? 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! You crack me up, seriously, with your candid musings on pregnancy. Never do you sound like a complainer, and it helps me think about how I will keep my own pants up in a few months if all goes well! AMEN to the last day of school, congrats on the first weekend of summer! I have until the 26th but my last day with kiddos is the 20th, so I'm right behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bellybutton ring story is adorable. I had mine pierced when I was about 14, but it tore out one year when I was playing volleyball in college (that was not a good experience!). When I was out of college (and done with volleyball) it looked like the hole was still open and probably could have been re-peirced without too much pain, but I decided not too. But that means after Ziggy is born, it might go right back in. Happy summer to you both!

    ReplyDelete