Sunday, April 20, 2014

Add this to the list...


Apparently crazy dreams are a common symptom of pregnancy. 
Well, I think I can officially add that to my list of symptoms...I've always been a dreamer and have always had unusual dreams.  Although, I kind of think dreams are naturally unusual, right?  I mean...they feel totally believable while you're sleeping, but when you wake up and think it through they more often than not are completely ridiculous.
Anyhow, I have been dreaming a lot more than usual and the dreams are a lot...different...than usual.  I won't share them all here, but here's what happened in sleepy theater last night...
I was absolutely hysterical.  Like off-my-rocker emotional basket case.  You see, I had delivered our baby and it (or I guess she) was a doll.  In fact, she looked exactly like this doll my little sister had growing up that she had named "Julie."  Julie wasn't the cutest doll...she had long brown hair and sticky-out bangs and her eyes never seemed to both close at the same time and she wore this sailor-inspired white dress with a navy blue bow. (CORRECTION: my sister found a picture of the doll on ebay or somewhere, and it was a red bow with some blue ribbon detail).

Behold Julie:
 
Yikes, right???  Talk about a face only a mother could love...

Anyway, I'm not sure what our baby's name was...so let's continue to call her "Julie."  Now, rather than being upset that I had a doll for a baby, I was an absolute wreck because a.) I lost Julie, and b.) I had forgotten to feed her for the entire first day of her life.
I was frantically searching the house carrying on about what a terrible mother I was already because I hadn't even fed the kid once...but how could I have known because she never even cried (I mean, she was a doll, remember?). 
Eventually I found her stashed away with some toys.  Somebody thought she was a toy and so they put her away....because she was a doll!  I quickly tried to feed her...but the darn little thing wouldn't latch because SHE WAS A DOLL, so I lost it all over again.
Hmmm...
I'm not sure what that was all about, but I do know that I will not be naming any child of mine "Julie."   
The end.

9 comments:

  1. That dream sounds terrible! Your retelling is actually hilarious though, although I'm sure it was the farthest thing from hilarious at the time. I am terrified for this actually because my dreams are messed up un-pregnant and I have dreamed I birthed a kitten before, so I can commiserate! I hope that you have some of those nice dreams, too. Speaking of names, do you find being a teacher that it makes it hard to pick ones? Every time we have ones that we like I end up with a student with that name that makes it hard not to associate the name with the student... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually just read on some pregnancy website that the birthing a kitten dream is pretty common...how weird is that?!?! And yes, there are certain names that can't really be considered because they belonged to former students. A few of the names are unsavory because they have bad memories associated with them and others just feel like they belong too much to that former student.

      Delete
  2. Omg 1) this is hilarious and truly made me laugh out loud 2) I spent entirely too long google image searching to find picture of said doll ... Behold Julie:
    http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mnxRiy5UU8a6pN817lm1-yw.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3) I love your blog and read the whole thing in one sitting. 4) I know I live far away, but I had no idea you went through all of that! I miss you so much and am so incredibly excited for you two!

    and 5) I just realized how abandoned/old/ugly my blog is and I feel inspired to resurrect it and give it a face lift. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T...I love that you found Julie!!! I guess I got mixed up with the bow...couldn't remember if it was blue or red, but knew both colors were minimally involved in the outfit somehow. I am glad I inspired you to resurrect your blog...send me the link to yours via facebook, if you don't mind!

      Delete
  4. That sounds terrifying! As a pretty vivid dreamer myself, I can imagine how real that felt. And yikes! Julie is one scary doll. Your sister actually kept that in her room when she was kid? That would certainly give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, believe it or not...my little sister loved that weird doll. I was one of four girls in my family, so we had a lot of dolls. And out of all of them, why that one popped up in my dream, I have no idea!! She was by far the creepiest.

      Delete
  5. This sounds more like a nightmare than a dream! Glad to know I'm not the only one having freakishly weird dreams...and I'm not even pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh, what have you been dreaming about? Was it the Sean T thing? Was that only a dream?!?!

      Delete