Saturday, September 20, 2014

aiNT NoBoDY GoT TiMe FoR THaT!

Just gonna let you know right now, there is likely nothing exciting or creative about this post.  It's just an update because I feel like it's been awhile.  Because school started...and since then I aint got time (or energy) for much of anything else.

Before I start, I'll throw out my usual disclaimer...I am SOOO happy and SOOO lucky that I have had a very uneventful pregnancy.  I do not take that for granted; I've seen and heard about too many that haven't gone so smoothly.  And I don't want to complain...I'm just putting out my current thoughts and happenings in a disorganized list:
  • I just completed day 13 of the 2014-15 first grade school year. 
  • That sounds like nothing....feels like forever. 
  • School is overwhelming.  Trying to front-load my students, get ready for a long-term sub, follow our new curriculum maps to meet district expectations, evaluate myself and set goals using a new teacher-evaluation tool, support two brand-new teachers on my team, plan a parent preview night, get initial student assessments done, and probably a handful of other things I can't remember right now...it's just a lot.  And I know I am not on my "A Game."
  • Sometimes I feel like I can't possibly do enough to get my kids and classroom ready for my absence...and other times, I just don't care. 
  • I love what I do...and I think I am pretty dang good at it...but this year my career gets to take a backseat.  And that's okay...in fact it's wonderful.  I know I will be busy and tired and fumbling my way through being a full-time mom with a full-time job and a long-distance marriage...but I am looking forward to learning how to let things go and focus on what matters most.
  • I am 37 weeks 1 day pregnant.
  • I can't tie my own shoes...let alone 18 little pairs multiple times a day.
  • I'm sure it's pretty comical watching me try...I know I sigh and make a face every time one of them asks me to tie a shoe...I can't hide it.
  • Unfortunately only one student can actually tie shoes...but it takes her about 2 minutes per shoe.  There are others who *think* they can help their friends, but only end up tying a series of knots...which requires even more effort on my part to undo.
  • I was planning on working through Friday, October 10 (my due date is the 9th).
  • 15 more days of work sounds...well...horrible.  So I'm thinking of calling it quits on Friday, October 3rd (that'll be 10 more work days) unless my little man has different plans for us....which, now that we've reached 37 weeks, I am totally open to.
  • At my 36 week appointment nothing was going on with my cervix.  This week I was nearly 1cm and starting to efface...baby had dropped even more too.  That could mean things are getting underway slowly...or it could mean nothing. 
  • I was thrilled, even though it was little progress, that there WAS progress within the week because I really don't want to be the crazy first-time pregnant lady that over-reacts about what is going on.  I wanted to believe SOMETHING was happening  because it feels like things are happening...lots of pelvic pressure, some lower back pain, Braxton Hicks like you'll never read about anywhere...
  • Just yesterday I made a point of writing down when I was having the intense contractions (not painful, but extreme tightness) and how long they were lasting.  I have had several days where they feel constant...like they never really go away, so they have been hard to count.  Turns out the frequency wasn't as bad as I thought, but the duration still seems CRAZY.  They were consistently 45-65 minutes apart but were lasting anywhere from 7-12 minutes a piece.  Between contractions the tightness would let up and come and go with less intensity until the next big one.  I also noted baby's movement and he moved all day with the exception of 2 quiet hours (which were not back-to-back).
  • I have been reassured by the OB's office that all this practice is good...just my body getting ready for labor.  And as long as I am not in pain and baby is moving and there is no fluid/blood I am not to worry about the duration of the contractions.  They say this is my "normal" and that if I notice changes in my normal, then I should come in.  But, it still seems crazy to me.  Anyone else?  7-12 minutes!  It just doesn't seem right...but what do I know?
  • I'm really glad to be having weekly appointments now.  I love feeling our little guy squirm and hiccup, but nothing makes me happier than hearing his healthy little heartbeat and hearing that we continue to grow right on track.
  • I can't believe I will get to meet him so soon.  I don't think there is a word to pinpoint how I feel about that coming day...when I will finally hold him.  It is a mix between anticipation, excitement, nerves....but that still doesn't cut it.  Overall, I guess I am just finally ready (as ready as you can be for such a monumental event anyway) and happy.
  •  And...HUSBAND JUST GOT HOME FOR THE WEEKEND...so this post is over! Maybe I'll write more later.  Maybe not...aint really got time for bloggin' much these days.

4 comments:

  1. Holding your little guy will be the best moment. It's so loaded with emotion, but SO incredible! I can't believe you're already almost there- EXCITING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting... you're almost there! All that shoe-tying is one reason why I am far better suited to 8th grade than 1st... :) October 3rd sounds like a great plan. Rest up, get off those feet, give the classroom over to your sub so you can just prepare and enjoy these last moments of peace before it is joyfully interrupted by your sweet little boy! I can't wait for you to meet him, either. I hope the contractions do what they're supposed to and you're not in discomfort before you absolutely must be for things to move along. Exciting times! (I am exhausted after 13 days, too, and I don't have all that growing going on! I don't know how you are managing, but it sounds like even if you don't feel like you're on your A game, I bet you are doing just fine. Good luck for the last couple of weeks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gals! I am really excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 37 weeks!? That went fast! (for me anyway, maybe not for you). You poor girl having to tie all those shoes every day! You're so good to those kiddos, and I'm sure your sub will do great. Good luck next week (and the week after if you decide to stay). You can do it! You're doing amazing.

    ReplyDelete