Monday, November 11, 2013

Punctuation Takes a Vacation


So, l decided to show my husband the bloga little reluctantly I must admit.  It’s one thing to get used to the idea of broadcasting yourself to a bunch of people you don’t know; it’s an entirely different thing to share your DIARY with people you love and trustthe risk is greater.
Anyway, I shared it with him because I share everything with him.  And, well, he already knew everything anyway.  I was excited and nervous and looking for feedback.  “Do I sound like a complete crazy or is it sorta good?”
He liked it!  I was afraid he might laugh and call me a nube or something; he’s Irish and always making jokes.  I’m Nordic (among other things) and always seriousor at least compared to my Irish husband.  But he liked it!  His only feedback was that I should maybe edit it a bit…"You need some commas or something,” I think is what he said.
I’ve heard this before.  I heard it in junior high.  My teachers referred to it as the “Ponderosa Period.”  It was the phenomenon occurring with students coming from the Ponderosa neighborhood who seldom used periods.  Apparently we were masterful at adding detail, but didn’t know when to cut it off. 
I considered my husband’s advice and decided to give my post another look-over.  Then I decided not to change it (much) because 1.) That’s the way I talk in my head, 2.) It’s not like I’m writing a research report (been there, done that, neveragainthankyou!), and 3.) I’m practicing being imperfect.  So, the punctuation or lack thereof, stays as is.
Even though I didn’t really use the advice this time around, his comment got me thinking about another subjectI think I’ll write about that one next.
P.S.  I stole my title from Robin Pulver who wrote a children’s book with the same title.  Awesome book for teaching about the importance of punctuation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment